Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Canberra Day Appeal?
The Canberra Day Appeal is the capital region’s largest fundraising campaign, hosted by Hands Across Canberra. The Appeal supports over 300 local charities and community organisations and the tens of thousands of people they work with.
Many local charities register to become part of the Appeal, and run a suite of different fundraising activities as under the banner of the Canberra Day Appeal. From morning teas, raffles and online campaigns, our charities can facilitate many activities to reach their fundraising goals.
What is the Hands Up for Canberra Giving Day?
The Hands Up for Canberra Giving Day is the largest fundraising activation executed during the Canberra Day Appeal. It is a 48-hour fundraising period where Hands Across Canberra, participating charities and corporate partners roll out a series of online communications to drive as many donations as
A Giving Day is an annual day of giving; where donors are invited to donate to, in this case, Hands Up for Canberra (#handsup4CBR) and/or local charity participants and donations are doubled until matched funds are exhausted. Each charity has access to $5,000 of matched funds available.
The Hands Up for Canberra Giving Day will occur on 9th March and run for 48hours
The Giving Day website is: www.canberraday.org.au
Hands Up For Canberra is the tagline for the Giving Day. It is used to inspire the public to put their hands up to be part of the campaign and help the community.
Why should I give through the Giving Day?
- It is an opportunity to invest in our local community and increase capacity of our local charities and organisations here in Canberra.
- Prizes and matching funds amplify your impact. For example, all donations are matched x2 until matched funding runs out. Each participating charity partner has been allocated $5,000 in matched funding. Once their $5,000 cap is reached ($10,000 in total), donations will no longer be matched but your donation will still count!
How do I make a donation?
Donations can be made to Hands Across Canberra or any charity of your choice or both, by visiting the canberraday.org.au page and pressing the “Donate Now” button on the top of each page. There you will be able to make a one-off donation or monthly recurring donation. And remember, any donation over $2 is tax deductible!
Is there a minimum or maximum donation I can make through the Giving Day?
You can make any donation amount. For larger donations we recommend a direct bank transfer to reduce fees. Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to make a bank transfer.
What if I accidentally contribute the wrong amount and need a refund?
Please contact us at email@example.com and we will be able to assist with your refund.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
All donations made to Hands Across Canberra ABN 43661430024 are tax deductible.
Which charities are participating in the Canberra Day Appeal?
- There are a total of 75 charities, including Hands Across Canberra who are participating in the Appeal.
- You can see all participating charities here: https://giving.handsacrosscanberra.org.au/canberra-giving-day-2022/all-charities
Can I give to more than one organisation?
Yes, you may choose to donate to one or all the charities involved in the appeal.
Is my donation information secure?
Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
You will receive a receipt immediately by email. If you make a mistake on your email please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can send you the tax receipt.
Does it cost anything to give through the Canberra Day Appeal page? How much of each donation will nonprofits receive?
- Stripe’s credit card fees are 1.75% + $0.30 for domestic cards and 2.9% + $0.30 for international cards
- In addition, donors can opt to pay an “additional contribution” of 4% (capped at $15) which enables covers processing/platform fees and helps with the costs of fundraising. This additional contribution is wholly tax-deductible to Australian residents.
- Non-profits receive the full amount of your donation
How do I set up a recurring gift?
On the donate now section of the fundraising page, you can choose either one-off or recurring donation – here you can choose to make future contributions to any given charity or Hands Across Canberra.
However, please note that only gifts up until Canberra Day will be eligible for matching.
Who do I contact with questions about the Canberra Day Appeal?
For any questions or concerns, please visit: email@example.com